The original script, countless reproductions, and millions of people worldwide don’t remember the Scarecrow having ever carried a gun as he walked down the yellow brick road.
But now if you go back and watch the famous movie you will see the scarecrow packing heat. I even provided the clip of it below.
- In the original script (by Noel Langley, Florence Ryerson, and Edgar Allan Woolf) there’s no mention of a gun.
- Where did the Scarecrow acquire the firearm? Is there a gun store next to the yellow brick road? Why not shoot the flying monkeys rather than hide from them?
- Many things were “toned down” from the screenplay to make the movie more kid-friendly. For instance, the skywriting done by the Witch originally spelled “Surrender Dorothy or Die” and was removed so children wouldn’t be scared. Yet nobody considered that giving a pistol to a man made of straw with no brain to be an issue.
- Due to the iconic status of “Oz,” the film has been dissected and analyzed ad nauseam. There have been countless behind-the-scenes books and documentaries. Yet no conversation on why or how the Scarecrow has a pistol.
- And why did we all miss it until just a few years ago? Why did we all suddenly start noticing it around the same time?