Saint Jerome of Stridon was a Latin Christian priest who was best known for his translation of the Bible into Latin, which he completed between 382 AD and 406 AD. His translation is called the Vulgata (versio vulgata — means “commonly used translation”), it remained the official biblical text used by the Roman Catholic Church until the 20th century.

Here is where it gets strange:

His translations show Moses having horns, this is the reason statues, painting, books, and carvings depict horns on the head of Moses.

The Chapel at New College, Oxford. 1350

Modern Bible translations do not depict Moses as having horns:

Exodus 34:29-30 King James Version (KJV)

29 And it came to pass, when Moses came down from mount Sinai with the two tables of testimony in Moses’ hand, when he came down from the mount, that Moses wist not that the skin of his face shone while he talked with him.

30 And when Aaron and all the children of Israel saw Moses, behold, the skin of his face shone; and they were afraid to come nigh him.

So, it was a true belief at the time that Moses had horns but here in the present day, we (for the most part), believe that this was a mistranslation.

What if it wasn’t? What if we are the ones who are wrong?

Also, keep in mind that if you were born in that day and age your Bible stated that Moses had horns. Generations of people were born with the understanding that Moses had horns. When you went to church they preached about the horns. Picture how many people defended the concept of horns on Moses with the penalty of hell if you failed to trust the Bible presented at the time.

The cathedral of San Salvador de Oviedo

St. Andrews Church in Westhall, one of England’s finest medieval paintings

San Pietro in Vincoli

Michelangelo

Well of Moses, 1395 museum in Dijon

1. Interesting, I’ve never heard that before.

2. He most certainly did not have horns!

Liked by 1 person

3. Did too/did not… we have no way of knowing.
    Honestly; I wouldn’t be surprised…

Liked by 1 person

• I would be a little surprised if a human had horns. Not the horns that seem like abnormal growths but rather a pair of true, balanced and well formed horns.

If someone I know goes on a trip and comes back with horns I’m going to take the time to be properly surprised and inquisitive.

4. In order to know whether or not it’s a mistranslation, simply look up the Hebrew words.
    In which case you will find there are NO horns. So, Jerome was simply wrong.

5. … mistranslated?
    And then there is the possibility the Council of Nicaea… oh… (I don’t know) just leaving entire “works” out, as not worthy of canonization.

6. Doesn’t prove Moses had horns. Proves only that Jew hating started very early in the Roman Church. Such has a long history. See book CONSTANTINE’S SWORD.

• That’s an interesting response, so you are stating that there can be Bibles that are made to hate Jewish people?

I have never heard of such a thing.

Liked by 1 person

• THANK YOU FOR VISITING MY CARTOON BLOG AND COMMENTING . I DID NOT APPROVE THE COMMENT ON THE MOSES CARTOON BECAUSE i DON’T DO POLITICAL, RELIGIOUS, SOCIAL COMMENTARY ALTHOUGH I THINK I COULD DO WELL AT IT. I KEEP IT A HUMOR BLOG . THIS TOPIC IS AN ACCURATE PORTRAYAL OF THIS HISTORICAL MATTER. YOUR COMMENT GAVE SITE REFERRAL HERE. I DO NOT MIND FOLLOWERS REFERRING TO A RELATED SUBJECT ON THEIR BLOG BUT I AVOID THIS TYPE OF STUFF AS BEST I CAN. YOU WIND UP LOSING HALF YOUR AUDIENCE. IT IS INTERESTING THOUGH. I DO OWN A JEROME BIBLICAL COMMENTARY WHICH I NEEDED FOR MY MASTERS DEGREE STUDY AT CATHOLIC BARRY UNIVERSITY IN MIAMI SHORES, FLORIDA IN RELIGIOUS STUDIES (I AM PRESBYTERIAN). THAT WAS IN 1979. THE BOOK COST $125 AT A TIME WHEN MY WEEKLY SALARY WAS THAT ! I HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND WHY I DID NOT APPROVE YOUR COMMENT BECAUSE OF REFERENCE TO THIS PARTICULAR POST. AS BRILLIANT AND SCHOLARLY AS THE CHURCH FATHERS WERE IN THE EARLY CENTURIES THEY WERE STILL INFLUENCED BY SUPERSTITION AND PAGAN INFLUENCE TOO. THERE WERE SURELY ERRORS IN EARLY TRANSLATIONS IN THE EARLY CENTURIES BUT WE HAVE REACHED A POINT TODAY WHERE I THINK ACCURACY IN AUTHOR INTENT IS SOLID. THE USE OF BIBLE COMMENTARY FOR CLERGY AND LAYPERSON BIBLE STUDY IS WISE BECAUSE SCHOLARS CAN RELATE ALTERNATIVE UNDERSTANDINGS OF SCRIPTURE. IN MY OWN STUDY, IN 2016, I COPIED A LITTLE EACH DAY UNTIL I COMPLETED HAND WRITING THE ENTIRE NEW TESTAMENT. BLESSINGS.

Liked by 1 person