What you most likely already know:
- The airline industry makes billions in profits.
- Airlines pay millions to the CEO’s and executives that run them.
- Taxpayers pay additional taxes on top of each plane ticket they purchase.
What you most likely don’t know:
- Taxpayers subsidize the Airline Industry:
- Taxpayers pay for Air Traffic Control Towers
- Taxpayers subsidize airports and airport maintenance
- Taxpayers subsidize air travel to non-profitable rural communities nationwide
- Taxpayers paid for the full bailout of the air industry
- Taxpayers pay for airport security
- Taxpayers pay for some airport management
I hear a lot of complaints about welfare but I don’t hear any complaints about subsidy which is, in fact, welfare for corporations and the rich. In a free market society, companies should provide services per consumer demand that are profitable via open competition.
The Airlines receive welfare via our taxes to provide a service that they charge us for.
People who do not fly pay taxes to support those who do.
Locations, where few people go, are (at times) paying lower fairs than people in high demand areas.
Executives get rich off hard working tax paying middle-class citizens living check to check.
Where is the outrage?
: a sum of money granted to aid individuals in need with public funds
: a sum of money granted to aid private enterprise with public funds
: a system in which prices are determined by competition via private enterprise
: a charge of money imposed by authority onto private citizens for public purposes